Monday, 30 July 2012

FACING 50'S SPOTLIGHT ON...

Sorry about the break in posts. Hubby whisked me away for a couple of days and I couldn't get my prepared post to publish. I'll have to post that one this week now. Anyway, here we are...it's Monday and I am once again jumping about with glee because I have a special person here for you.
Hubby has his camera ready and I am all set up for today's guest. She's travelled a fair way to be here and kindly brought Hubby a tin of Highland Shortbread and very smart kilt which he is currently sporting. Alas, we have no photographs of him in it as he refused to hand over the camera. So, all the way from North of the Border I would like to introduce you to Janice Horton.


Good morning Janice and many thanks for coming all this way to visit us here. As you know, this is a light-hearted blog so I like ask my guests to answer a few simple questions first to allow us all to reminisce and learn more about you.



First of all, what is your favourite old seventies/eighties television show?
Ooh, can I pick one from each decade please? The Six Million Dollar Man in the 70’s and Dallas in the 80’s!

Facing 50 is now humming the theme tune to 'Dallas'. Hubby is squirming.

Compulsory question because you are not allowed on this blog unless you have a sense of humour, can you tell us a short joke?
Because all my books have a Scottish setting, I’ll tell you a Scottish joke:
The Queen was touring a Scottish hospital. She approached the bed of a patient who shouted out  -“Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o’ the pudding-race!”. Another patient staggered up to her and sang - “Should auld acquaintance be forgot.” Turning to a doctor she asked if she was in a ward for mental patients. “No ma’am,” was the reply “This is the Burns Unit”.

What makes you laugh most?
Two things make me giggle until I cry: my husband’s satirical observations on life and a night out/in with my girlfriends over a few bottles of wine.

You are at a funfair – what would most you enjoy there?
The Candy Floss.

Was it Miss Scarlett, in the Library
with the rope?
Are you a Ker-Plunk person or a Trivial Pursuit sort of person?
I’d say Trivial Pursuit – although I love Monopoly and Cluedo.

Did you ever own a Malibu Barbie or a Sindy doll?
I had a Sindy Doll in the 1960’s. I also had a Ken. J

Hubby is muttering something about Ken and Action Man, but we can't understand him through the mouthfuls of shortbread biscuit. Let's get back to you Janice.


What genre do you write?
I write contemporary light Scottish romance – with dark humour!


We all enjoy humour here. Dark or light.

Who is your favourite character in your books?
That’s a difficult question. I get very attached to all my characters, even the baddies. Okay, if I have to choose, I’d say the heroes of the stories – Innes Buchanan in Bagpipes & Bullshot and Finn McDuff in Reaching for the Stars.

Where do you think up your ideas for stories?
Ideas come from everywhere and usually from real life situations from which the ‘what if’ factor kicks in. I make a note when the light bulb in my brain starts flickering!

What do you do to help you concentrate on writing?
Real life intervention is the bane of all fiction writers. Depending on deadline - I either have to ‘clear the decks’ and get all other matters out of the way before I can sit down to write - or I have to get away to a place where real life can’t cloud my imagination.

Could you please put a few brief words about you - something that doesn’t show up on the loveahappyending.com website. Surprise us!
I live in Scotland and love the pace of life here, the beautiful scenery, the haunting history, the traffic free roads, the sharp light, the clean air – but I also hate feeling constantly frozen during the incessantly long winters here. I don’t like the way the damp air makes my hair frizz and how the Godforsaken Scottish midge makes me so miserable in the warm wet months of the summer. I once moaned to a girlfriend on why on earth we choose to stay in Scotland and she replied: “If the weather was perfect and there was no midge, then everyone would want to live here….” And it’s true!

Janice many thanks for coming here today. You have been most entertaining and please drop by again. 
I can highly recommend Janice's blog listed below where there are some enticing extracts from her novels and there is even a very tasty photograph of a man in a kilt and a video. 
Uhm, sorry, could someone remove the Shortbread tin from Hubby please? I tried but he growled menacingly at me.


Janice is the author of the the following novels. Click on the links below for further information about them or where to purchase them.

Bagpipes & Bullshot
“A light hearted contemporary tale told with timeless Scottish romanticism and a knowing sense of humour, Bagpipes and Bullshot twists an everyday love story with a whole cast of village eccentrics into an entertaining play on rural life.”

Reaching for the Stars
“Scottish celebrity chef Finn McDuff is media stalked and disillusioned after winning his third star and losing his third wife. He decides he’s had enough of all the food campaigns, the TV cookery shows, the constant frenzy surrounding his private life and, after giving up all his accolades and closing down his restaurant, he disappears.
Love him or hate him, everyone is out looking for Chef McDuff!”


Janice's ebooks on Amazon UK
Janice's ebooks on Amazon.com


Twitter: @JaniceHorton
Featured Author & Associate Editor at: Loveahappyending.com

34 comments:

  1. I had Sindy too. My nana would buy me new outfits for her as pocket money gifts. I also had the smaller Pippa dolls, do you remember them?

    Finn McDuff was a real hunk :)


    carol

    Ps the joke had the groan factor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Dizzy C and thank you for sharing this on Facebook.
      I'd forgotten about Pippa dolls. Wow! Now I have the urge to put on roller skates and play outside in the street - ah the good old days...

      Delete
    2. Ooooh Pippa! Yes, I loved my Pippa, as she had a pony to ride and wore a little riding outfit. I used to make showjumping courses out of cardboard and tin foil and have hours of fun. The joke was a bit groany wasn't it?! Tee-hee. Thanks for popping over Carol (Dizzy)and for your lovely comment, I just love Carol EW's Fabulous Blog!

      Delete
  2. I had a Sindy doll too - with hair that you could have long or short. There was a button and a knob on her back and you could wind it in short or press the button and pull the pony tail to make it long. I so wished that I could that my own hair would do this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma and many thanks for tweeting etc. this post today.
      I always wanted one of those especially as I gave my own Sindy doll a trim and she never looked the same afterwards!
      I would just like my hair to be normal and sit on my head rather than look as if I have dragged myself through a bush every day.

      Delete
    2. Hi Emma - I was always envious of friends who had the Sindy with a button on her head! Mine had a dark but very's fahionable 60's bob, aka Mary Quant. Ken's hair, if I remember rightly was painted on! Thanks for popping over and leaving a comment, sweetie!

      Delete
  3. I had a Pippa! I also had one of those dolls that went 'Mamma' when you pulled a string a the back of her neck. My brother pulled it out. Sniffle. Grrrrr! Great post, girls! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you retaliated by pulling his hair! Boo!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sheryl, I have two brothers and have to admit that I stole all the horses off their cowboys and indians (detachable) for my 'riding school'! Thanks for your visit and your comment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the midges, and sadly a decade of living with midges.i didn't have a barbie or sindy, to old. i had an american teenage' doll sent by my aunt. She had a slightly more realistic figure I remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have Barbie either but I did have a scruffy old Teddy who is still with me called Growly because he made a growling noise when you tilted him. Now he just sounds cross when you tilt him. Sorry about the midges. We have nasty black thunder flies that stick in your hair.

      Delete
  6. The midges are a real pain and part of the problem is that they are so small - yet vicious. Oh well, I suppose the up side is that they don’t actually kill you – unlike mozzies, snakes and spiders in some parts of the world. See, always thinking on the positive, that’s me…! Te-he.
    Thanks for your comment, J. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, but Sindy dolls were after my time and then I was too old to play with them. I agree with a previous comment that the joke had the groan factor, besides I've heard it before. Oh, and we don't have midges on the east coast of Scotland, not in my bit anyway, so if you're coming to Scotland remember it's not 'go west, young man' it's 'go east'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the joke because I have a childish sense of humour that loves it when people groan. I have some horrors so watch out for future posts :)
      I've only been to Glasgow and Edinburgh where midges are banned I believe!
      You have now made me sing the Pet Shop Boys version of a certain song with changed lyrics and I am happily annoying Hubby by singing loudly in a dreadful Scottish accent.

      Delete
    2. Now I wish I'd been given your advice when we moved to Scotland 24 years ago Chris! I do think you are right about the wee beasties being banned from Glasgow and Edinburgh, Carol, so I might just move to the city!

      Delete
  8. Great, fun post. I wasn't into dolls of any sort as a kid. Bit of a tomboy, me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I shall have to find out what you got up to Kit in a future post!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely - just what were you doing...?!

      Delete
  9. I never had a Sindy - but I had Tressy ('her hair grows') her friend, Mary Make-up and Tressy's little sister Toots. Actually, I still have them all, up in the loft.

    Loved the Burns joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tressy and Toots...sounds like a great title for a novel.
      Maybe they are worth something now Jan...get them along to The Antique Road Show ;)

      Delete
    2. I'd forgotton about Tressy, Jan! I didn't have her but maybe my friends did - or maybe I just remember the TV advert showing her hair 'growing'. An age of wonder....

      Great that you still have your toys. We moved house when I was 14 - so I imagine that's when all of mine disappeared. Still have my childhood books though thank goodness!

      Glad someone liked my joke! :)

      Delete
  10. Sindy was my favourite - I remember I had two, plus a plastic bed and a wardrobe including hangers! When we grew to old for toys they all went to the local children's home and I always rather hoped whoever had my Sindy's loved them as much as I did. I have to say some of the dolls today look rather weird ... Thanks for the trip down memory lane ladies! And yes, Chef McDuff was a Scottish hunk, I loved him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to think that any toys that I gave away were loved.
      You were very lucky. My Dad made a doll's house for me with some furniture but it fell to pieces the second I put my doll in it! (Poor Dad - he wasn't very good with glue>)

      Delete
    2. Sindy was certainly a sensibly shaped doll - unlike Barbie, whom I noticed was 'out of proportion', even at a tender age. I used to send my Sindy doll on dates with her boyfriend Ken and sometimes there was Action man on the scene too - all entirely innocent though, I assure you!

      Delete
  11. My daughters had Sindy dolls, then also went on to Barbies. My granddaughter when she was young, had Bratz dolls. Now they were a different thing altogether! I also remember Tiny Tears, as they were very popular at the time. Great interview with Janice today, and I loved the Scottish joke. Hee Hee!! Hope you had a lovely break my leetle friend. What a good hubby you have. I should hang on to him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thisisme! My sisters had cabbage patch dolls - remember them? Not as glam as Sindy or Barbie that's for sure!

      Happy that you appreciated my joke - te-he!!

      Seriously, I agree about the hubby!

      Delete
  12. I never played with dolls--I was usually up in a tree, instead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishyduck - I have to admit to climbing trees too - one actually, I called it 'the lightening tree' as it was old twisted and dead. I used to sit up there and 'think'.

      Trees are wonderful aren't they...?

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Jo-Anne - as I'm sure are you! x

      Delete
  14. Janice sounds very talented indeed. I'm on my way to check out her blog, thanks for introducing such fun writers. I'm dying to read a few more of your adventures with Phil..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alessandra! Thank you for your lovely comment and I'd be delighted to 'see' you over at my blog. x

      Delete
  15. HELP! My blog won't let me get onto the top bar and post anything. Anyone else had this problem? What can be done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would try emptying your cache and doing a reboot. Usually works for me. xx

      Thank you again Carol for hosting me on your fab and fun blog. Yay for facing 50 with humour!

      Delete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!