Friday, 13 July 2012

'(I can't Get No) Satisfaction...'


Here we are, back again. Phew! I can't tell you what a relief it is to be back. I had  better set the scene for the next few posts so we are all back up to This is what happened after I stopped blogging...

'Hubby was hunched over his cereal bowl this morning glowering at the packaging. He bought different cereal to the usual brand yesterday when he was snooping in the supermarket while I was getting my hair cut. This new one was on sale at half price and dear old Hubby loves a bargain. He didn’t just buy one box, oh no, he bought all the boxes that were left on the shelf. Let’s hope we like it because we sufficient boxes to see us through to the end of the year.
     Hubby not only likes bargains but is also obsessed with reading cereal boxes and cartons of milk at the breakfast table. I guess it means he doesn’t have to converse with me first thing in the morning. You’d think by now he’d have memorised how many calories there are in a box of muesli or how much calcium is in a pint of milk. Anyway, today he had new reading material and was absorbed.
     Riviera Radio was playing an eighties song. We listen to the French radio station which broadcasts in English from Monaco because Hubby hates British Radio. He detests the adverts and the news bulletins drive him bonkers. I found the Riviera Radio app on my iPhone and Hubby seems to like the charismatic presenters and easy listening choices. Also he likes Henk Potts who is an advisor for Barclays Bank. Every morning Henk gives a roundup of all the financial news. Nothing interests a retired Hubby more than getting some financial low-down; other than a cereal box perhaps. 
     This morning Henk was chatting amiably about Nokia’s results. Samsung have taken over from Nokia as the leading seller of mobile phones. Poor old Nokia who have been enjoying wonderful sales for years have just not kept up with the new Smart phones and have lost their leader position.
     Hubby looked up from his box and gloomily announced, 
     “I suppose Nokia is ‘Finnished’,” and looked at me for a round of applause.
He got rewarded with a snort of laughter that resulted in the table being covered with milk. He really is a ‘wag’ at times and has a good sense of humour.
     “One for your blog,” he added and then remembered. “Oh yes, there is no more blog, is there?”
     I’d been writing my blog Facing 50 with Humour for almost two years. After finishing my second novel and now having loads of writing commitments I had decided to stop writing it. It takes up an inordinate amount of time and Hubby had been putting huge pressure on me to give it up claiming I spent far too much time on-line when I should be doing other more interesting things. Besides my eyesight had suffered badly too, thanks to hours of working on the screen. Even wearing my new glasses I have taken to miscalculating where I am and have been staggering into all sorts of objects recently.
     “So, what shall we do today to fill in our free time?” I asked.
Hubby gazed at me blankly. “Don’t know.”
     “Go to the shops?” 
     That received a withering look. Hubby not only hates British radio he hates British shops even more. He hates shopping (unless it is for reduced price food). He dislikes driving. He loathes motorways. He dislikes crowds. Come to think of it, it would be easier for me list what Hubby actually likes rather than dislikes. (The answer to that is eating cake and going on holiday.) I went through the list of possible choices for the day.
     “Garden Centre?”
     He glowered menacingly at me. Okay, that was probably a bad call. We moved house at the beginning of the year to a completely new development and since we arrived it has done nothing but blow a gale or rain. Honestly, that is all the weather we have had. In spite of the weather a gardener has managed to plant over two hundred plants for us. Hubby’s pockets are drained and plants are no longer high on his agenda, especially as those that are outside are getting blown to smithereens.
     “Go to town for a walk about and a coffee?”
     “No, we can have a coffee at home. I’m not wasting good money on a coffee.”
     I’d run out of ideas by now. Hubby threw the bowls into the sink and scrubbed them clean while I racked my brains to come up with a suggestion. Outside rain fell, bashing itself onto our windows relentlessly. Hubby cleared off to his office (which is a cupboard under the stairs) shut the door and left me to get on with my exciting day.
     After three hours of washing floors and cleaning out cupboards I was reminded why I took up writing in the first place. But I had promised Hubby I would stay off the internet. He thinks I have become addicted. He’s probably right. I prefer my on-line world to the real one outside my door. My followers have become my dearest friends. I love hearing from them and finding out what they have been up to.
     What does an ex-blogger do when she has been banned from her blog? She carries on writing it in secret but doesn't actually put it on her blog....well, not just yet! We have to be sneaky and wait until hubby think I no longer write a blog...'
    
 Now, Ladies and Gentlemen enough time has passed and here I am, back again with Facing 50 With Humour’ – the uncut version! I hope you will continue to enjoy it.

40 comments:

  1. It's lovely to have you back Carol, and a joy to read your posts :-)
    Happy Friday to you!
    Hugs,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very nice thing to say. Thank you Eva. Happy Friday to you too.x

      Delete
  2. Sneak if you must--just POST!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can multi task and sneakily post if that pleases you. x

      Delete
  3. Yay, I've been waiting for it seems like forever. Tell hubby that if he can't come up with something decent and entertaining to do, you might as well go back to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he misses not being in the limelight! He's been coming out with quips all day for the next post.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Eva, it's so lovely to have you back you leetle mynx! I'm not quite sure that I believe all these things you tell me about poor hubby. I'm sure you've got your very own Mr Grey up there, but you just don't want to spread it about!! (See, I'm being silly again already. It's all your fault!). Anyway, we look forward to lots more funny stories from you to brighten our dreary days. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! I have succeeded where others have failed. I can make Thisisme behave youthfully :)
      No, he is definitely Grumpy not Grey although today he is soggy and surprisingly not at all grumpy.

      Delete
  5. To my new friend, Carol! So glad I've met you and I love your blog. I guess I missed the time off you took since I just met you today! I can relate to this post in almost every way. I work from home for my husband (he's a Financial Planner and I'm the "office girl"). I also have to blog and FB and Twitter on the sly. He thinks I'm doing his computer work and marketing and here I am doing my thing! If he walks by, I quickly minimize my sites so that only his show on the screen! BTW - Love the comment about having your very own Mr. Grey! I assume the reference is to "Fifty Shades"? Loved those books - brought a little life into a 33 year marriage. Now I'm rambling - talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Fifty Shades of Grey! Now that brings a whole new meaning to my life and Hubby's!
      Lovely to meet you. I enjoyed being at your blog earlier.
      Hope your Mr Grumpy is better behaved than mine. |he got up to a whole load of mischief tonight that I'll no doubt divulge at a later date.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Welcome back Carol, I have missed your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much as I've missed all my friends and their comments. xx

      Delete
  7. Carol - I can see that your new friend, Nina, is going to fit in with us very nicely!! Hee Hee!!She does sound like a girl after our own heart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall have to get her initiated...did you bring the robes and the funny pink furry things that we don't mention on the blog? x

      Delete
  8. Welcome back!
    I don't see anything wrong with reading at breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. And snacks. I've been doing it since I was three. Books though, not cereal boxes. They're boring once you've read it once. Why not suggest a book or newspaper to hubby? He's clearly not a morning conversationalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River.
      For one who is so absorbed in reading cereal boxes he has very little time for books (they have too many words) or newspapers ("full of doom and gloom!") He's best left to amuse himself.

      Delete
  9. Hi, I rarely comment but I do read so welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you commenting today and I am very glad you are here x

      Delete
  10. You're a clever one, I hand you that!
    welcome back, good to see you again, always smile or laugh when I visit here.
    The weather here is atrocious too, just like winter, I'm fed up of it. But I must be following the wrong blogs, cos most of mine have blue skies and sunshine; seeing that only depresses me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sunshine here Mimi just hot cocoa on an afternoon and warm jumpers!
      At least a laugh brightens the day...unless you are a Hubby.xx

      Delete
  11. Oh thank heavens you're back! Woohoo!!! Welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - now that is a welcome!

      Delete
  12. Our hubby's are so similar so I have to have a good laugh at this post. Love your blog and hope you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they morph into one type as they get older. It must be in their genes!

      Delete
  13. I'm going to stick with you, Carol. I like hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby needs your support Chris - he'll be happy he has someone in his corner.

      Delete
  14. Great to have you back, Carol :) :)

    I have missed you.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back to the bloggy world!!!! Can't wait to read the new book! As always I will do whatever to promote here in the Sooner state of the good ole' US of A!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ShaRhonda - you have always been a great friend. x

      Delete
  16. So he finally ran out of the last shelf purchase of cereal did he? It only took...what? One or two years? LOL It's just so good to 'see' you back on my sidebar! I've heard the weather has been wet over your way. Hope it clears while Birdie and boytoy are visiting London next week! Oh, BTW- where DID you get that picture of me sitting at the computer? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin! ow utterly brilliant to see you here again. Yes, two years of Shredded Wheat. I never want to see another box of the stuff again.
      Sorry but the forecast is pretty awful for next week too so tell Birdie and boytoy to bring umbrellas.
      I knew we were alike but heavens we look that similar? xxx

      Delete
  17. That actually sounds like my husband. He's a bargain hunting maniac. Glad to have you back and look forward to reading about all your misadventures to come. I've been fairly lax with my blog this year since the gardening weather started, but trying to escape all the heat and humidity has given me much more needed time to read all the blogs I love, and yours is right up there at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clipped Wings I am honoured that my blog is so high up your list.
      I wish you were here to help Hubby with the garden-it is such a mess with all the rain we have had and still needs planting out.
      Many thanks for your kind words.

      x

      Delete
  18. Your blog title made me come running as I thought I was going to get a bit of Rolling Stones, but I got even better. I don't know why I never discovered your blog earlier. We need more humour in the blogosphere! Gets a bit too intense at times, but your Hubby stories had me cackling with glee. He sounds priceless. By now he should be through reading the cereal boxes and looking for something more scintillating.

    I'm glad you're back. Have fb'd you and followed you. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! A new follower. Welcome Denise. I hope you enjoy yourself thoroughly here. We're a chatty bunch so don't forget to join in the silly comments. Often they are more fun than the post itself.
      Good Old Rolling Stones...attract the right sort of people, don't they? Mind you Hubby seems to have a doting fan club here too.
      Many thanks for commenting and following. I shall track you down on fb and follow you back.
      x

      Delete
  19. Haha! I laughed about hubby buying all the cereal off the shelves because of such a good deal! Mine has done the same thing! I can't wait to hear about everything that has been going on. I wonder how long you can pull of the sneaky blogger bit! I'm technically on a little bloggy break, but hope to get back into it soon. Blogging does take so much time, but, like you, I miss my bloggy buddies!!! Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping the sun will shine and Hubby will disappear into the garden so I can blog happily alone. Not much chance of that at the moment! Enjoy your break but come back soon. xx

      Delete
  20. good post about

    '(I can't Get No) Satisfaction...'

    ReplyDelete

  21. Thanks for this Nice Topic

    I hope you visit my blog, which I am talking in it about the Egyptian civilization and Egyptian antiquities such as Egyptian Museums , the pharaohs kings, and kings antiquities such as the antiquities of Tutankhamun Collection , Temples , Tombs , Pyramids and Some Things of Ancient Egyptian life.

    Egy-king

    http://egy-king.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!