Friday, 24 August 2012

"Strike a pose, strike a pose. Vogue, vogue, vogue.."

Before

     Last month Hubby took me away to celebrate my birthday (Ha! I managed to keep that quiet, didn't I? That is apart from all of you on Facebook who found out,)
     He didn't so much take me away as I took him. I decided the destination, the hotel and which dates. I booked it all and told him the week before so he didn't have time to change the plan.
     He's pretty good when it comes to birthdays, unless it's his own. He let's me have my own way for an entire day and doesn't complain about anything!
     This year he was particularly attentive. We had a few days in Lyon, which, if you haven't been, is a fantastic city, full of shops, restaurants, beautiful buildings and oh, yes, shops. I was told that if you visited every restaurant in Lyon to eat lunch and dinner, it would take you over a year to visit all the restaurants there are in the city.
     Hubby was happy. A city full of 'boulangeries', chocolate shops and delicious food.
     On the day of my birthday having eaten our way through as many food outlets as we possibly could and feeling rather full Hubby and I passed a MAC store. Hubby looked at me and said:
     "Why don't you treat yourself to a makeover? You may be a year older but why look it? It looks trendy in there."
     He pushed open the door and shoved me inside. It was trendy all right. I felt like an eighty year old amongst all the young people there. Hubby urged me inside further, right into the path of Gok Wan the junior. Honestly, the person in front of me brandishing a large blusher brush was Gok Wan's little brother. He screwed up his eyes and looked at Hubby. I explained  we were there for me and I needed a makeover to make me younger than I was. Hubby looked relieved and went off to examine lipsticks.
     Junior Gok Wan seated me on a large leather stool and gazed at me professionally, nodded abruptly and asked me if I was afraid of colour. I told him I was completely in his hands which cheered him hugely and he minced over to the drawers where he kept looking back up at me and then back down at the pots of colours in his hand.
     Hubby meanwhile, had found some lipsticks that he thought might suit me. He brought one over. Gok intercepted him and sent him back with back with pursed lips. He approached me with his hands behind his back.
     "Are you sure you are not afraid of colour?" (I kept waiting for him to add "Girlfriend" but sad to say, he didn't.)
     I began to wonder if it had been wise to come in at all. The man was going to turn me into a clown.
I gulped.
     "Go on!" urged Hubby who had appeared by my side. "Be brave. You could do with some colour. You're a bit pasty."
     I nodded after all I have never been very good at putting on make up and if I am honest I still have a pot of dull brown eye shadow that I bought in the eighties in my drawer. A pot of  deep plum eye shadow and something very gold flashed before me.
     Gok-a-like set to work on me, drawing on eyebrows, painting my face lightly and wafting brushes over my face. Periodically he would stand back, nod happily and then look towards Hubby for approval. Hubby, who never show emotion, just nodded.
     After a good twenty minutes of being attacked by various brushes Gok-a-like told me to prepare myself for the result.
He pranced off to get the large mirror but before he let me look he gave my lips another slick of colour. He lifted the mirror and presented its face to me.
After
     I didn't recognise the woman in the mirror. Her skin glowed. The red spots had disappeared. The bags under her eyes had been removed. She had peachy cheeks, eyebrows that raised up and down and eyelashes which curled upwards and were a deep magenta colour. The lipstick was a warm and deep plum that made her lips look full rather than thin and old. Gok was a magic elf. I looked years younger.
Hubby stared at me.
     "Well?"
     "Yep. It's different," he said. "At least you have some colour."
     Deflated by Hubby's lack of enthusiasm for the Sex Goddess in front of him, I thanked Gok for all his trouble. He continued to fuss about, ensuring I didn't wipe my eye make-up off and making sure there was sufficient gold colour in the corners of my eyes. I let him finish and then thanked him for all his trouble.
     "Don't forget this," he said as I made to leave the shop. He pushed a large carrier bag into my hands. Hubby had bought all the make-up that Gok had used on me. He'd sneaked off while Gok had my eyes closed and was putting extra eye-shadow on them and bought it all for me.
     "Yes, that looks much better," he informed me as I happily plopped back outside into the sunlight. "You look much more youthful. Make sure you use it when we get back home. You have to stay one step ahead of this 'getting older' game."
I squeezed his hand and took him for a Häagen-Dazs ice cream.




25 comments:

  1. Ah, what a sweetheart! Your husband sounds like the best (at least on this birthday :)). Happy belated birthday - and we'll look forward to seeing you "in color" soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only once a year Sheila!Hubby is back to normal now, however, I am very colourful. x

      Delete
  2. You do make me laugh Carol. When I met you, you looked fabulous! Perhaps you smuggled Gok-a-like back with you in that carrier bag too! Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini-Gok-a-like is locked in the back bedroom :) (I wish) thank you for the compliment - I did have the make-up on that day so it must be good stuff. x

      Delete
  3. How can you improve on perfection??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, look at that fishducky trying to creep round you!! Honestly!! What can I say, but Eeeeek!! I would love to go and get a makeover like that, but sitting on a stool while all the other shoppers are walking around, tends to put me off! Seriously though, that was so sweet of hubby. Give him a big hug from me - he deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No other shoppers in a MAC store just othe rpeople all getting makeovers. Get your daughter to take you when you are in France - you'll love it.
      Isn't fishducky funny?
      Hubby doesn't deserve it today but I'll give it to him for that episode ;)

      Delete
  5. Pasty? That's a word every woman just loves to hear.

    You should pop by my place today. It's all about getting older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasty - I prefer pastry :)
      Great post at your BB really entertaining.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Carol,

    That would be a wonderful treat. I've never had one before, like you just described about yourself... And, are you using the supply you got from your dear husband?!
    Let's all try hard to stay ahead of the game indeed. But the ingredient of humor is far more important than the color.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - humour is the best way to stay youthful. I am religiously wearing my new make up. He'll have to take me again next year to replenish the stocks!
      xx

      Delete
  7. What fun! Oh how I wish I could have been there, right next to you. I love your style and your narrative, you make me laugh out lout, Carol. Wonderful post. But... where's the 'after' picture? The glamour shot???
    Loveya, and take care... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got one somewhere. I might drag it out just for you ;)
      Thank you Nicky. It was a fun experience. xxx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tale! Isn't he just the sweetest? My hubby would have run a mile from my makeover!
    Those Mac people are great; I brought a group of students there for makeovers, and they "did" me too, I couldn't believe how well I looked and felt!
    Would that I could smuggle one of them home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fab? I'd love a personal assistant to do my hair and make up each day. Ah!

      Delete
  10. I wouldn't know whether to be insulted or not by being called pasty. haha

    I do like make-up though, honestly wish I could afford a personal stylist far too lazy to bother most of the time and half of it I have no clue what it actually is...I mean primer makes me feel like I'm a bit of furniture. lol

    I use the excuse that I'm training to be an ecologist as "Why bother I'll just get rained off anyway." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it as a helpful insult.
      By the way - I discovered primer doesn't work - I use PolyFilla! You get much better coverage and you don't need botox :)

      Delete
  11. Now your hubby has changed my view of him LOL LOL ... how fantastic of him , a wonderful hubby, even though he does moan about you being on the computer... My hubby would not dare to moan at me, he is an IT consultant and is on his constantly ... I said to him, at least I make friends on mine ..LOL and MEET wonderful people . ha ha

    I would love it , if my hubby did that for me, .. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby seems to win over people wherever he goes. I shall write something awful about him again next time having boosted his ego today. He's still moaning about me being on-line though.
      Good retort by the way. :)

      Delete
  12. I love makeovers, they're so much fun. I knew it, hubby is really a sweetheart deep down inside (maybe very deep down...).I totally agree with him though, we have to stay ahead of this getting old thing, my preferred way is to buy outrageously expensive Italian shoes. I must say it works, except for my bank account which is always rather dry. Happy super belated birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. He said you looked pasty and you didn't slug him?? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!