Monday, 24 September 2012

FACING 50'S SPOTLIGHT ON...


Kit Domino

I have filled up the fridge today with Martinis and wine for my guest. She is huge fun and I am a big admirer of her talents, of which she has many. Inspired by art, nature and the beauty that surrounds us all, she has written outstanding novels and painted breathtaking pictures. I love everything that this lady produces but the clincher for me is that she likes Oompah band music!

It is a huge pleasure to introduce you to Kit Domino. Kit, a warm welcome to my humble blog. Some simple ice breaking questions to start with please, while Hubby mixes us a couple of cocktails:





The Flower Pot Men or the Magic Roundabout?
Oh very definitely the Flower Pot Men. They were such a good pop group even if a one hit wonder.  “Let’s go to San Francisco …” Oh, you mean the other Flower Pot Men.  The real ones. Yes, they were brilliant. Who could resist Lickle Weeeed. It was one of my favourite kids’ TV programme, along with The Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Torchy and Muffin the Mule. Sheer magic.

Mary Quant or Channel? ( I was always fascinated by my mother’s white Mary Quant lipstick. I wasn’t allowed any make up until I was thirteen and then I was given a pot of purple eyeshadow.)
No contest. Mary Quant, only at the time when I was a teenager I couldn’t afford either. It was always Rimmel from Woolworths. My father wouldn’t allow us to wear make-up, especially lipstick, so we used to put it on after we went out. He always said lipstick was for whores. I’m laughing as nowadays the only makeup I ever wear is lipstick.

Sorry, this next part is obligatory. The audience expects it. Can you tell us a short joke?
Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other hunter whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. "My friend is dead! What can I do?" he says. "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead," replied the operator. A silence ensures. Then, a loud gun shot is heard. "OK,” says the man to the operator. “Now what?”

What makes you laugh most?
My husband’s sense of humour  – usually one-liners and off-the-cuff comments. Our house is always full of laughter, usually at each other.

You are walking past a deserted children’s play area – what are you most likely to jump on?
The swing. I don’t like slides (I hate heights), roundabouts made me dizzy and, well, it’s a bit like fun fairs, I never found them fun. Still don’t. I always wanted to go to Disneyland as a kid until I found out they are little more than glorified fun fairs. But swings are fun although nowadays I doubt if they could carry my weight.

What is your happiest childhood memory?
That is a very difficult one to answer as there are so many. Boxing Day was always a happy time as every year we would go to my grandparents’ house for a big party. The whole family would be there, all the aunts and uncles and cousins. The house was always crowded as my father was one of eight children, so you can imagine the noise but they were always fun. No fighting, at least not amongst the kids, and it was always a late night home as my father was the only one who had a car and he had to drive everyone home, so we were always the last to get home and to bed. 

Did you ever dress up as a super hero or a famous person in a book? Who did you pretend to be when you were a child? (I always pretended to be Timmy the dog in the Famous Five!)
I never used to dress up as a character but at infants school my best friend Paul and I always played at Champion the Wonder Horse together, acting out the latest exciting episode. He was always Champion, with me playing Ricky, running behind pretending to be riding him and using my imaginary whip as we scampered around the playground. The other kids thought we were nuts. Looking back, I think they were right.

Favourite playground activity.
Playing British Bulldogs. I think it’s banned now. In my day, the teachers always used to join in. In winter, it was always snowball fights, again with the teachers.

Thank you Kit. Those are great answers, even Hubby is smiling. You didn't slip him a Martini, did you? Onto more sensible questions now:

What genre do you write?
I write in several: saga, paranormal and general fiction. I don’t like being compartmentalised and as I have so many ideas and plots and lots of vivid imagination I don’t want to end up on just one shelf.

Who is your favourite character in your books?
That is a tough one. I like all my characters, but I suppose if I have to choose one, it would be Dimitri from When Two Worlds Collide (waiting publication). He’s Greek and he’s gorgeous, handsome, dark, strong and brave yet gentle and caring. He can carry me off into the Aegean sunset any time. Ssshh, don’t tell my husband I said that...

Where do you think up your ideas for stories?
They just come to me. They appear in my head, often at night. It isn’t something I can quantify.

What do you do to help you concentrate on writing?
I listen to music, especially classical and more especially Andrea Bocelli. Music is very much a mood enhancer and when I need to create a particular scene, music can help create the right atmosphere.

Could you please put a few brief words about you - something that doesn’t show up on the loveahappyending.com website. Surprise us!
Aaah. Well, I’m exceedingly beautiful, I’m slim, sexy, loaded with money, have a singing voice like an angel, and have a very vivid imagination. I also do a lot of wishful thinking ­ –  I wish I was beautiful, I wish I was slim again (I’m getting there but have a long way to go), I wish I could win the lottery or write that multi-million pound best seller and I wish I could sing. Still, I suppose one out of five isn’t bad.


Read an extract from this wonderful novel by clicking on the title above.

You can purchase a copy of Every Step of the Way form any of the sites below by clicking on them:

Amazon.com          


Barnes & Noble 
                                 

Finally, you can find out more about Kit or connect with her at the following sites:

Blog:               http://kitdomino.wordpress.com/
Twitter:            http://www.kit-domino.com/index.htm
Website:         http://www.kit-domino.com/

29 comments:

  1. What a lovely fun post - a great start to the morning. When I was pre-teen we had a babysitter who wore Mary Quant makeup and she would sometimes give me the ends of lipsticks or eyeshadows she didn't want any more. I was always so thrilled!

    I loved the joke, Kit!

    And, I don't think it's at all fair on the rest of us - that someone can be as multi-talented as you are, Kit!

    Janice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice.
      I agree - Kit keeps on surprising us al with her talents - next stop - stand up comic!
      My babysitter gave me sherry - guess that explains a lot :)

      Delete
  2. You both had babysitters? I only had my two horrible sisters (much older than me) to look after me. No sherry, only fights, mind I used to "borrow" their makeup when they were out - until they day they came home early and caught me using it. Never did find out where they hid it after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine life with sisters...or sherry :)
      No make up to borrow although one year I borrowed my mother's face peel. Trouble was I used it all and she locked the bathroom cabinet thereafter.
      Thanks for being such a fun guest Kit.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of Mary Quant, but that was probably before my time in this country! All sounds very delightful, loved the joke and the childhood memory and I bet you can sing, you're just shy, Kit! Great post, lovely to see you here, rock on! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eva. Nicky, if you ever heard me sing you would want to run back home to Germany, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mega thanks Carol for inviting me today. Aaaah, fifty, seems such a long time ago yet in my head and heart am still only 16. Grow old disgracefully and have as much fun as you can get away with - that's my motto. Hugs. XX Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you learn something new every day! BTW we've met in person and she is slim, sexy and has a singing voice like an angel - the pub wasn't quite the place to break into song though ha! ha! Fun post ladies, made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post! It's always fun to read about other writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. Pleased you enjoyed it. Was fun remembering those lovely kids' programmes.

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Linn. (Now, here's that twenty quid I promised you!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haw, haw! I love that joke! Do we a warped SOH, Kit? I played the Lone Ranger with my little brother. He got the part of Jack (I have no idea who Jack was, but he was my LITTLE brother - and it was MY game). Fab post, girls! Still smiling! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl. Warped SOH? Oh very definitely. Hi Ho Tonto? Or was that Trigger? XX

      Delete
  10. I wonder what it would be like if you put Kit and me in the same room with a bottle of alcohol and a Karaoke machine. I'm guessing lots of screaming people trying to get out of the pub.
    Many thanks to all of you who have commented and visited today and of course, once more, thank you Kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Carol, with alcohol and a karaoke? Methinks it would be me screaming to get out the door.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for introducing me to this author! Her spirit comes through in this interview! She is so modest too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, pleased to meet you. I am a lady of great spirit, usually gin, hence the martinis quoffed courtesy of Carol's hubby (sorry forgot his name; I'm dreadful at names).

      Delete
  12. LOVED the joke--I may steal it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can swap it for one of yours!

      Delete
    2. Why not, I stole it from Spike Milligan. He was and is my joke hero!

      Delete
  13. Fun post. I loved the joke! And if I dig down into my cosmetic bag, I've got a few tubes of Rimmel lipstick in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You reminded me that I have a Rimmel stick somewhere - must check out my old bags. Thanks Melanie. x

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Melanie. Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  14. Hello girls - what a great post - sorry I'm late rolling up! I can still remember my frst lipstick which I think was Miners (cheaper than Rimmel!?) and also the smell of it. I later moved up to Mary Quanty green eyeshadow which the model on the advert wore in a wide band, but I was only brave enough for a blob on each eyelid :(
    As for the singing, Kit has been keeping that one a secret. Can't wait for the Thornberry girls to take the stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miners, of course. Remember it well. If you cross a whale and a cat with catarrh, you'll know what I sound like when I sing. Great to see you here, Ali.

      Delete
  15. Kit Domino is not an author I am familiar with but I thoroughly enjoyed this interview with her, it stirred lots of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, LindyLouMac, I'm so pleased you enjoyed. My novel Every Step of the Way is full of 1950s nostalgia. I think it's our memories that really inspire authors to write.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!