Saturday, 1 September 2012

"Ground Control to Major Tom..."

     I suppose it was inevitable, after all, I have been sitting in front of this computer every day, all day, for several months typing, engaging in social chitchat, writing posts, articles, features and networking like crazy.
     The doctor has officially declared I have severe eye strain. I thought that wasn't a real condition. It was one of those things I considered to be a bit of a myth like my mother saying: "If you pull that face, when the wind changes, it'll stay like it!"
     Apparently, it's a real condition. My eyes have been pretty bad for a while now and I noticed of late that I have been typing very badly, even worse than normal. I also seem to walk into doors more frequently, trip up pavements and have frequent headaches and perpetually watering eyes.
     Hubby has been nagging me for ages, as you all know, to cut down on my internet hours. I ignored him. He is now walking around with a "I told you so" look on his face. He nearly didn't let me type this up to let you know that I shall be off-line now. I have to have an enforced rest: no writing, no reading, no television, no computer and Hubby has taken away my mobile phone, so I can't even text.
     I am allowed to do nothing I enjoy. I am, however, allowed to take exercise, rest my eyes, wear my glasses more often (bleurgh!, cook (double bleurgh!) and do housework (triple bleurgh!).
New hobby?
     I think I shall quite probably go mad over the next couple of weeks. I might have to try a new hobby - wine tasting appeals.
    So, like the lyrics of David Bowie song 'Space Oddity' which forms today's post title I shall be rattling about out of communication for a while and "there is nothing I can do..."
     Radio (well, internet) silence is in force now until mid-September. That sound you can hear isn't white noise or the crackling of air waves with no one responding. It's me grinding my teeth and biting my nails wondering how I'll get through the next two weeks.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Carol - oh dear poor you. You have spurred me on to get booked at the opticians next week as I have been finding it hard to read my phone and computer screens without 'zooming in' and my poor old kindle gets about 6 lines per page these days. I am sure it has got worse over the last 12 months with all the online activity. Best wishes to you on your recuperation - you could always try relaxing with an audiobook! Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Emma -as you can see I am not paying attention to the doctor and have sneaked on line! I'm only on for a few minutes though. Get those eyes checked out my dear. We need them!
    I'll let Hubby read to me - that should send me into a nice relaxed state and sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look after yourself and your eyes, Carol! I had a similar thing last year when I was starting work on book 2. I hadn't a clue what I was doing to myself, apart from the perma-headache of course. One evening when I finished typing for the day, my eyesight practically went. Everything was so blurred that I couldn't see. I went to bed in a bit of a panic, I can tell you. Next day, I went to the optician (eyesight having returned with some rest) and had an eye test. She was absolutely horrified at the difference in vision between my eyes and couldn't quite understand how I had got that far without glasses! In retrospect, neither can I because, much as I hate them, my reading glasses have become my new best friend. quite often I forget to take them off so I suspect eventually I will cave and get full time glasses. I hate glasses, but not seeing is infinitely worse.

    So, off with the computer, on with the glasses for you and get some rest. See you when you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh crikey, I didn't know such a thing existed either. I think I would quite simply perish if I had to ditch the computer for a few weeks.

    But take the time to have some well-earned rest. Hope your eyesight is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, exactly what one most dreads, poor you. I think you will have to take up photography and go for long walks with your camera. Or is that banned as well, the camera not the walking. Audiobooks, listening to the radio, what ever it is all such a drag, makes you realise how dependent we are on our eyes and the computer!!!!! Take Care xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Carol; I think your idea of wine tasting sounds like a fabulous way to get through your exile to no computer land. I do hope you take your doctor's advice and rest your eyes. You have been working so hard that I'm certain a break will help all around. can't wait to read what adventures you get yourself into as you rest.

    many hugs to you both , C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Carol, I am so sorry to hear about your eye condition, and hope that you will feel better soon after some good rest. I am sure that you will come up with something to do, wine testing doesn't sound too bad ;) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care of yourself, Carol, and get some rest. You don't really need your eyes to drink wine, do you? So, I think that's that problem sorted out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're here & then you're gone & then you're here again & now you're gone again--I'm getting dizzy! Maybe I'll take up wine tasting with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. You have a wonderful sense of humor, but do take care of your eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take care of your eyes, dear Carol. I will satisfy my "Carol addiction" by getting caught up (I hope) on your past posts. I think you should take up wine tasting during this terrible, trying time. It beats cleaning and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time back on line after two week hol and guess what? I get a migraine. I suspect we all have give ourselves a bit of internet silence. Look after you, Carol. We'll still be here when your poor peepers are all rested. Blinkity, blink! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. With the wine tasting alternative, the two weeks will pass in no time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you poor thing - but the rest will do you good and you will have plenty to write about on your return I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh No. I just found your blog and was looking forward to reading up on some humorous insights about being 50. Someone told me the 40”s are” freeing”, and I found them to be right. Now that I am in the 50’s I am beginning to feel they are “feeling”, as in feeling every ache and pain. Now I read about your eye strain and wonder is this age related or just due to your dedicated blogging. I will be checking back to see, wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh sweetie I'm sorry to read that. do hop you are feeling better and on the mend soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh poor.. you have very good sense of humor. I like reading your post and you take care of yours eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You might want to hone your smoke signaling skills Miss Carol.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!