Sunday, 16 September 2012

"I can see clearly now the rain has gone..."

By Penelope Jolicoeur 
At last! I am allowed back on-line although as some of you know I have been trying all sorts of ways to stay in touch with my cyber friends in spite of my ban from the internet.
First, I sneaked my iPad into the bathroom and pretended I was having a bath when I was really on Hootsuite scheduling tweets. There were people I couldn't let down - Nicky Wells, a fellow loveahappyending.com author had a book tour and launch which needed promoting, as did new authors who have joined ThornBerry Publishing. Also Dizzy C was getting married! I couldn't miss that!
     Hubby sussed me. He didn't confiscate the iPad though, oh no! Wiley Old Hubby confiscated the modem and that was that - no signal!
     The first week of the ban was dreadful. I missed you all and I missed my cyber chats. At least I had a good plan for week two when I was headed to France to launch Surfing in Stilettos. At the airport I sent Hubby through security ahead of me while I pretended to ferret about in my handbag looking for the toiletries in the plastic bag. Hubby took off his belt and went through the metal detector. To his surprise it sounded. The guard sent him back to take off his shoes and try again. It was at that point that I grabbed my iPad, hidden in the depths of my bag, shoved it into a tray, covered it with my bag and strolled though the detector. Hubby had pinged it again and was being frisked by a guard. He looked vexed. The guard sent him through again and he pinged it again. That meant I had time to collect all the belongings and shove the iPad back into the bottom of my handbag.
     Hubby joined me with a perplexed look on his face.
     "There was a twenty pence piece hidden right in the corner of my trouser pocket. I don't know how I got it in there. I must have picked it up and forgotten I had it. It made the machine bleep and I had to be searched."
     I tusked for him in sympathy and scooted off to buy him a coffee to take his mind off it. Ha! It had worked. the coin I had carefully pushed deep into his pocket had managed to keep him distracted from my ploy. I patted the iPad in glee.
     At the cottage in France I waited patiently until Hubby was firmly ensconced in a book and didn't notice me disappear into the house. I managed to get on-line and leave a few messages. Clever me - I was not going to be thwarted.
     The next morning while Hubby was in the shower I sneaked on-line again. Just I logged onto Facebook the signal disappeared. Cursing I hid the iPad again. I'd try later.
     Showered and ready for action we were just about to go out when the cottage owner appeared.
     "Just to let you know that we've lost the telephone lines and internet. An enormous lorry containing logs has come down the road, caught the cable and pinged it across the field. A neighbour has contacted French Telecom but they can't come out until the end of next week. We are sorry. We hope you didn't need the internet."
     Hubby brushed away the apologies. "No, no problem. We don't need the internet this week. We are incommunicado for a few days, aren't we?" He shot a look at me. I nodded woefully. It wasn't meant to be.
     So, after two weeks of no typing or reading or chatting to my cyber friends I am fitter (thanks to Hubby making me walk every day) and my eyes are a lot better. My launch for Surfing in Stilettos was a huge success with all the books selling and I got some good news too on my return yesterday. A well-known magazine is going to feature one of my stories. The magazine rather appropriately is called 'Take A Break'. Maybe I should take one more often!

24 comments:

  1. Carol!!!!!!!! I am trying to be consistent with my blogging activities - both writing and reading. I just wrote about my day out at the rum festival yesterday. Does hubs like rum? And why are you on an internet ban? Do you need me to talk to the hubs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to cut down on those rum potions my friend! You are behind the times here. The post below should get you up to speed provided you aren't on your fourth cup of rum today. Sorry, Hubs hates rum but I love it. Great to see you here. XXXXX

      Delete
  2. Whenever & wherever--just post! Hubby doesn't need to know everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusk tusk! You are always leading me astray - at least I'm back in time for your birthday!

      Delete
  3. Woo-hoo, you are back!

    I was getting withdrawal symptoms and was going to have to read re-runs of previous posts ;)

    Good to see you

    Mrs Wright
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoopee! Hello married woman! I shall be mentioning you this week again. How's wedded bliss?

      Delete
    2. Well....I am still on the pink cloud as a twitter friend said but Hubby is back to work lol.

      I have to do a double take on who this Mrs Wright is on twitter and facebook lol

      carol
      xx

      Delete
  4. You must employ a surrogate typist when hubs gets on his kicks, so we don't start worrying he actually did you in. I knew you were going to be gone for a short while, but two weeks? That is almost criminal, you should have told hubs you could have died from withdrawal symptoms, though I don't think he would have bought it. May I suggest a little tranquilizer in his coffee? Glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the tranquilliser idea and could you please come over and be my typist - although looking at the last lot of photos you posted on FB I don't think the tranquillisers would work if Hubby saw you here...he'd bee bounding about eagerly. x

      Delete
  5. You are a sneaky little devil! Glad the book launch went well and your eyes are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneaky is my middle name! Thanks Eva xx

      Delete
  6. Hysterical! Has he read this? Wonder how much he really knows...? And fantastic news on the book sales, all the best for continued sales success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course he hasn't - well, I hope he hasn't! Eek! Thanks Jaxbee. x

      Delete
  7. What an interesting blog you have here. Glad to have come and certainly will not be the last. Blessings to you and your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen - you are always welcome here. Just be prepared for my mischief!

      Delete
  8. Great post, I read Surfing in Stilettos over the weekend and loved it. I am afraid that although I have written the review it will be sometime before it gets published. Take Care of those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindyLouMac - I am so very pleased you enjoyed it. I mean that. I really value your opinion. Your reviews always make excellent reading and have persuaded me often to buy a book I might otherwise not have looked at. I look forward to reading your review. *jumps up and down in excitement* xx

      Delete
  9. Love, love, love the airport story - so clever. Maybe it is time to cast a female 007!

    Congratualtions on a successful launch in France, and the magazine feature.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment - I would love to be a female 007 - think of all those lovely men I could seduce! And, I'd get to wear a tuxedo!

      Delete
  10. Hallo there you leetle mynx. Did you miss me?! Sorry, but I'm all behind with my blogging again :( This was a funny story, and I can just imagine you being all furtive at the airport and trying to hide the fact that you had snaffled your iPad with you! Trust French Telecom to come along and thwart all your plans. Anyway, we have certainly missed you round here. It's just not the same when you're away. Like Linda from Italy, I also read your book again, and loved it just as much as when I read it the first time. (Yes, I went and bought an actual book. Every little helps, as that wellknown supermarket chain keeps telling us!! Glad your eyes are rested my friend. Hugs to both you AND hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - you wonderful leetle friend! Thank you for getting a book - you are right every little helps and if I get enough I'll treat Hubby to a nice break away - from me! (Hee hee!) I was really pleased with my clever plan to get my iPad on board - trust FT to mess it all up. Still my eyes are a lot better.
      I know what you mean about getting behind. Since I returned I have been in a right pickle trying to pick up where I left off...Miss you? I always miss you. You are one of the best!

      Delete
    2. Aaaaw, thank you mon ami, she says - blushing a delicate shade of beetroot! x

      Delete
  11. Yeah! I'm glad you are back but Carol! I had no idea you were such a conniving woman! I'm shocked and highly amused hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I did not get distracted! Aren't you a sneaky and clever lady! teehee. Loved the story, and so glad your eyes are all better!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!