Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Next Big Thing

Possible cover image?


Last week I was tagged by the excellent crime writer Chris Longmuir for a feature entitled The Next Big Thing. It’s all about writing. Given that people keep asking me what I am working on and that I’d like to introduce you to some superb authors, I decided to join in. So here we go...




What is the working title of your book? 
It's working title is Just Add Spice but I 'm not sure if that's the title I'll end up with. I keep changing my mind and I am now torn between three titles.
Where did the idea come from for the book?
I read an article about authors who often get carried away creating their characters. They 'method-write' - that is to say they really get into the mind of the character. (A bit like actors who employ method-acting) I for one, do that and indeed spent two years as the irrepressible Amanda Wilson but also lived the part of Richard Montague-Forbes, who has a very dark side to his character. It made me wonder what would happen if we let the characters actually start taking over us authors and how we could then become the victims.
What genre does your book fall under? Humour - well, what else would you expect from me?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Bill Nighy would make a great author in charge of the local creative writing group (Blake Ryder). Colin Firth would be Terence, the quiet member of the group who is taken with the protagonist Dawn. Dawn and Cinnamon would have to be played by someone like Kate Winslet but Hubby wants Cameron Diaz to appear! I think Dawn’s husband should be played by Bill Bailey.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? A wannabe author who wants to make her character as a realistic as possible,finds herself in all sorts of difficulties with comedic results, thanks to an over active imagination.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I really don’t know at this stage. I hope that my current publishers will be interested in it but as it’s not completed yet, I cannot really say.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? It usually takes me an hour to type a thousand words and then another three hours to edit, re-edit and rework a thousand words. At the rate I am going it should take three months. The last novel took that so I expect it will be the same, provided I don’t sleep for several nights again.
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? *Shrugs shoulders and looks confused*. I don’t know. My writing is along the lines of Stephen Clarke’s Merde series and its style has been compared to Jeremy Clarkson’s acerbic wit but I don’t know what else is out there that you could compare it to.
Who or What inspired you to write this book? My obsession with the internet and my desire to attempt the perfect murder.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Apart from the fact that it should make them laugh like crazy it might give them some ideas in how to bump off an irritating spouse.

I’d like to tag the following five authors as is required in the rules of the game and ask them to write up their own responses to the questions above for next week. They are a great bunch of people so please check out their sites and novels:
Stephen Fry (Sorry – he is far too busy and only blogs once a month)
Janet Evanovich – Again apologies – I approached her but her agent said she was in the final stages of writing book nineteen and couldn’t oblige this time but wishes me luck
J K Rowling – Okay – I didn’t ask her really.
MelyndaFleury - An author who writes entertaining humour in spite of losing her eyesight to diabetes
Jason Stadtlander - because he is a talented writer who is one of the nice guys out there.
Shirley Wright  - who is an incredible poet as well as an author.
Alison Bacon  - an up and coming author who writes far more eloquently than I do.
FiveSibes Mom - Just check out her huskies! Proceeds from her books go to a wonderful cause. Bet you say "Aaah!" when you visit her.

30 comments:

  1. Pity Stephen Fry and the others were too busy to accept your tags. Great answers, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris and many thanks for tagging me. x

      Delete
  2. Morning Carol! I thought J K would have taken up your offer at the very least!! Some really interesting answers here as to how you tackle your novels. To complete one in three months is quite impressive I would say! But then, what do I know, being just a country yokel from down here in Deepest Devon!! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where she lives so I could try harder next time and camp outside her house!
      I like to do everything fast paced my leetle mynxy friend - you know that. Sadly, typing isn't one of the things I can do quickly. Three months is usually the writing time. The ideas and plots are in my head a very long time.
      You a yokel? No sorry that doesn't wash with me. Hugs to you from us both too. x

      Delete
  3. Great answers, great fun. Glad you chickened out of asking JKR. It means I can when my turn comes. Ha ha. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over to you Kit - good luck asking JKR!

      Delete
  4. I am a big Evanovich fan! Have read every one of her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Eva - 'Nineteen' is almost ready...race you to the bookshop to get a copy! She always answers my emails which is really nice given how busy she is. Great author and a fun person.

      Delete
    2. I've also read ALL of Evanovich's books--love her!

      Another Wyer book--WOOHOO!!!!

      Delete
    3. I just remembered a great line from the old play "The Fourposter". A woman is being interviewed on her 50th anniversary & is asked if, during all those years, she had ever thought of divorce. Her answer: "Divorce, never. Murder, yes!"

      Delete
  5. JK and Stephen don't know what they're missing Carol! I loved your answers... makes me want to read your books, for sure. I will do, soon, I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's their loss Suzy! LOL
      I hope you find time in your busy schedule to read a book or two of mine...they should at the very least provide a smirk and a snort of laughter. x

      Delete
  6. Lovely answers. As for tagging.... I don't know how in a blog piece, so couldn't tag Jamie Cambell Bower, or anyone else for that matter!
    Just Add Spice sounds like a very 'fun read'. It's a good title, even if it's not the one you finally plump for. Murder does go through my mind sometimes. Yesterday evening for eg. But I'd changed my mind by this morning. gx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gilli! I always find the title the hardest part and as the novel progresses it gets changed. I'll see if I still like this one in a couple of weeks. The last choice was 'Sugar and Spicier'. Murder seems to hang about in my mind more often than it used to-can't imagine why!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous piece, and can't wait for the finished product. Have a thing for the perfect murder, teehee. Also adore Bill Nighy so bring it on. (Did you know Miriam picked him as her starring role too?) Lovely tags... who knows, maybe they will come and play after all? Thanks for sharing, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughty Miriam - I had first dibs on Bill. Love that man!
      Writing this has spurred me on. I can see me finishing it before I thought I would. I'll make sure you get a sneak preview. x

      Delete
  8. Looks great, Carol! I truly feel like you ARE the next best thing! Sending smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephanie what a lovely thing to say. I am very touched. I have got your sent smile and have splattered it onto my face. Thank you xx

      Delete
  9. I'm gonna have to find new online friends. You guys are all making me feel like a lazy schlub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Splutters in disbelief* No 0 you are not a sclub but oh how I like that word. I must now fit it into my novel. Don't you dare leave me! I know where you live and I'll come and hound you :) x

      Delete
  10. Thank you kind lady! I will get this done and let you know when I post it. Although I'm pretty sure my answers won't be as great as yours. :)
    have I told you I love your face? Well I do. (yes that is an Americanism. Actually I'm pretty sure it's a Utah thing. Just go with it it's a compliment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know and I'll drive all these lovely people over to visit you. You are one of the funniest people I know - along with Fishducky of course!
      I love being loved - thank you for the compliment. If I told Hubby that he'd think I was after sex :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, thank you for the tag...I feel very honored to be among those to carry the torch! I will have my post up next Tuesday! How fun! I look forward to Just Add Spice (I do really like that title!)I know it will be the "next big thing"...actually, in my book, you already are! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grinning like a mad woman now after that compliment. Thank you so much. Actually the more I use the title the more I like it.
      Really looking forward to your post and give those lovely furry friends of yours and extra hug from me.
      x

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the lovely description, Carol, and the challenge. OK, I'm up for it! Will post my answers sometime next week, when I can get the mojo working. With me, it's not so much 'facing fifty with humour' as 'facing sixty through gritted teeth'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby knows what you mean Shirley - his teeth are so gritted he has a permanent snarl!
      Good luck with the challenge - I am sure you will provide us all with a good insight into your fabulous work.

      Delete
  13. Still giigling - you crack me up, Carol! Great post and love the premise of the book. I can so identify with your wacky writer heroine already and can't wait for you to write the book so I can read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice -I've been working on it all day. I have a feeling it will be ready ahead of schedule due to popular demand. I hope you aren't planning half of what my heroine is up to...you'll end up in prison for sure!
      Many thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  14. Course, you know Stephen's just sulking cos you didn't put him in charge of the local writing group? Haw, haw! Love it, Carol. Another hit! Why do I keep thinking 'Spice & Easy'. Have no idea! Thank you for making MY day. A smile always does it! Good luck, sweetie! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice and easy! Oh wow! "By Jove - she's got it!"
      I owe you a large bottle of champagne in November :)

      Delete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!