Friday, 12 October 2012

FACING 50 SPOTLIGHT ON...


It is with great pleasure that I welcome a fellow Carol to my blog today. This Carol is a lady who I can only admire. She is funny, intelligent and extremely talented. She is even on Wikipedia for goodness sake! I’m guessing it is something to do with the name. Carol, welcome to the blog. You have been writing for some time now and have an impressive collection of books. Before we get onto those could I just ask you some ice breaker questions to let the readers know a little about the woman behind all of these wonderful novels.

‘The Dandy’ or ‘Bunty’?
Dandy, definitely. Bunty was too soppy! COW PIE!!
‘Top Cat’ or ‘the Magic Roundabout’? (If you don’t remember either of these, you are definitely far too young to be on my blog!)
Top Cat - heyheyhey...
Can you tell us a short joke?
What's white and fluffy and swings through the trees?  A meringue-utang
Who is your favourite Mr Men character?
Um  ..probably Little Miss Twitter - if she existed. If not, she ought to! .
Did you ever play with ‘Play-Doh’ or own a ‘Stylophone’?
No, sadly not. Though I could do amazing things with liquorice, given the chance.
What was the worst fashionable item you ever wore? (Please tell me you had a thigh length white plastic boots or something!)
I once owned a pair of purple velour hot pants, which I wore with a shiny satin orange shirt with frills down the front. (Oh yes...)
What was the first item of make-up you ever owned and how old were you when you got it?
Some Miners white eye shadow. Followed by a pair of false eyelashes (12/6d in old money) one of which my younger brother flushed down the loo because he thought it was a spider. Grrr.
What one mad thing would you like to do before you are too old to do it?
Carol's future collection?
I would like to own at least 4 more 2CV cars!! And a big garage to keep them all in

Oh dear! Hubby is glazing over with that look he gets when people start talking about cars. He has a penchant for all things with four wheels including tractors.

Let’s quickly change the subject before he corners you and talks about carburettors. Could you tell the readers a little the genre you write?
My genre: I guess it's YA - though I don't specifically 'write' for a group. I write what I like reading. So I also guess it's also fast paced Crime Fiction, because the 4 Spy Girl books and my ebook Jigsaw Pieces all feature criminal acts or violence of  some sort, and how it gets resolved.

However, I also write short stories - one was broadcast on BBC Radio 4, and while I was a teacher, I used to write short funny  plays for my drama class. The only thing I don't write is poetry - though now I say that, I did write 3 World War 1 poems in 
Jigsaw.Pieces.My stories always feature strong heroines: Jazmin Dawson, the 15 year old in Spy Girl, and Annie Skaerstad, the 18 year old in Jigsaw Pieces are examples. They are survivors, who face what life chucks at them, and stand tall. I guess 

I'd secretly like to be like them. I wonder whether as writers, we write about our Inner Ideal Heroine and let her do all the things we'd like to do, given the chance.

Please could you tell the readers something surprising about you; a little known fact that doesn’t appear elsewhere.
Something surprising: My lovely husband is younger than me. I met him while I was actively pursuing his flatmate! It took some time for me to transfer my affections, but I'm glad I did. We've now been married 36 years. Carol thank you hugely for coming along to my blog today. I really am in awe of your writing and your stamina - you outlasted everyone else at the party here on Monday!

Carol has written many books and earned a well-deserved reputation as an excellent writer. Below you can find the titles of some of her novels and links to Jigsaw Pieces.


Books: Spy Girl books:                    The Dark Side of Midnight
                                                            Once Upon A Crime
                                                            Dead Man Talking
                                                            Out of the Shadows
All published by Usborne and available on Amazon or order through local bookshop

                                   
Jigsaw Pieces 

‘He had been part of my everyday life. I hadn’t liked him much, nobody had liked him much, but he’d been there. Now, I’d never see him again.’

Annie Skjaerstad had been searching for her identity since being uprooted from her native country of Norway. With a spiky personality winning her no friends, and family members suddenly torn out of her life, she is left seeking comfort from a growing intrigue into the stories of fallen war heroes.

But one day, a boy from her school unexpectedly commits suicide, changing things forever. Confused by the tragic tale of someone she knew, Annie soon finds herself conducting her own investigation into his death. 

What she uncovers will bring her to a dark and dangerous place, as suddenly – her own life is put at risk.

A tense, coming of age crime thriller by the author of ‘Dead Man Talking’. 

Available on Amazon Kindle click here

You can contact or find out more about Carol here: 
www. Facebook Carol Hedges   
blog: http://carolhedges.blogspot.com     
Twitter @carolJhedges     
American site www.Shewrites.com

(Thanks to http://www.easy-incentive.eu/events/rally-french-car-incentive.html for photograph of 2CVs Author image thanks to Usborne taken from http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalogue.aspx?cat=1&area=FF&subcat=UFCT&id=2250 ) 

25 comments:

  1. Where did you get that pic from?? Thanks for having me, Carol. I will tidy up before I go. Promise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it lying around. Credit given at bottom of post now so I don't get sued! You have been a fantastic guest and please come back soon.
      If you could take those empty crisp packets that Hubby has left too with you that would really help.

      Delete
  2. I quite like reading YA stories, I'll check up on these next time I'm at Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an excellent author River, so I am sure you's enjoy her books. xx

      Delete
    2. YA is THE GENRE!! River. It's got plot, action, drama and you can remember all the stuff you got up to back when...

      Delete
  3. Carol and Carol

    Great interview. I know we have 'met' on twitter, Carol H and now it is great to find out more about you.

    Carol
    DizzyC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three Carols at one blog! I wonder if we should have a Carol party? Thanks for dropping by Carol (Dizzy One) Carol (Clever One) is a great person to get to know. x

      Delete
    2. I think we should all get together and record a song for Christmas!! 'Carols carol Carols comes to mind.

      Delete
    3. Cool Carols from Carol, Carol and Carol?

      Delete
  4. Another book or two for my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your list is probably as long as mine...I may never have enough hours left in my life to get through them all there are so many :)

      Delete
  5. I'm reading Jigsaw Pieces at the moment, if no one had said YA fiction I would never have known. Good to find out more of Carol H's secrets,but really Carol, the Dandy? Bunty rules!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Beano and Dandy girl too...had to have them as my dad always read them too. Thanks for the comment Anne. Carol is a card and I shall have to read her books. x

      Delete
    2. Nah - soppy stuff!! I also read Topper and Beezer - remember them? Baby Crockett? Sigh.

      Delete
  6. A highly entertaining interview. I love the sound of those hot pants. I had a flowered trouser suit that I wore with bells round my neck. You certainly are a prolific writer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one pic from those days - what I didn't add was that I was a lot 'bugger' then. Shouldn't have gone anywhere NEAR hot pants!! Funny how it's always the ones with the biggest legs who wear the shortest clothes!

      Delete
  7. Great to read more about you, Carol H! I'll have to get your YA books!! I have a lot to learn about OC/YA fiction. I have one out there but would like to read others. Like you, I write books I would want to read too, but maybe my tastes are too 'hstorical' for today's youngsters. Love the 2CVs!!!! I used to have as many Beetles as you have Ducks!! And I'm the one who gets the glazed look talking about tractors...lol! Love them too. Looking forward to following you more on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! I'm stacking up Twitter mates for when I pack my belongings in a red-spotted handkerchief on a stick and set off to explore the world and make my fortune!

      Delete
  8. It's a nice blog to provide a good information. You shared a really good information. I bookmarked this blog further more useful information. Thanks for sharing this.......... PPI Claim Refund

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this fantastic interview! Great stuff ladies! Carol H, you are amazing - I loved Jigsaw Pieces and I am definitely going to check out Spy Girl books. I want to be a Spy Girl! Not sure about the hot pants though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are excused the hot pants - I was 17 at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol H, you do crack me up - always enjoy reading your posts and Carol W, thanks for hosting such a fab author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog idea for us women of a certain age - i came to it via me Twitter matey Carol H, of course! I too had Miners white eyeshadow...!!

    I wrote a blog post when I'd just turned 50 and was loathing it - it's on my blog if you want to look at it, I don't think I can add a link on here, can I? However, since reaching 53 and waving goodbye to the menopause I have now fully embraced being an old codger, and love it - just as my 2 years older sister told me I would!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is much to be said for 'old codgerdom,' TT, and I have 11 years on you!! thanks for comments.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!