Saturday, 6 October 2012

"Happy Birthday Evil Mastermind, Happy Birthday to you..."

     Once upon a time there was a very helpful author who had a page on Facebook. Unlike some authors (cough, cough) he didn’t use his page to promote his own work, instead he posted rather amusing photographs and asked his ‘fans’ to caption them. They were enormous fun and soon this particular fan became addicted and popped over regularly to see what had been written.
     The friendly author also encouraged us to ‘like’ struggling author pages to help us increase numbers. When this struggling author asked the friendly author to promote her new page, he did so immediately and she soon had some new fans to chat to.
     Eventually, the friendly author decided he needed more of a challenge and asked his fans if we thought he should start up a website to do something more to promote authors. Would it be something we would enjoy, appreciate or indeed visit?
     Lots of us said we would definitely visit a magical place like that and a few weeks later we had invites to see his new castle website. It was magnificent. The articles were well written and very helpful covering all sorts of topics that authors need to get their heads around. The friendly author had changed his name to the Evil Mastermind which was not at all what he was like and had employed henchmen to guard the gates to the castle website and beautiful princes and princesses who wrote entertaining and useful articles which could only serve to help budding authors. 
     The site grew rapidly in popularity and began to give hope and help to all Indie authors all over the world.
The End...Or is it?


     Today is the first 'birthday' or anniversary of that site - Indies Unlimited. It really is a sort of a Fairy Tale or rather more of a success story. It recently became a finalist in the IBBA Awards and has attracted attention from all over the world. Authors regularly write in for help or to have their work reviewed or showcased. It now boasts a team of twenty-seven award-winning good-looking authors and contributors from all over the globe. There are some 559 Staff articles, 41 tutorials, 173 guest posts and 83 Flash Fiction Challenges among other gems on the site.
     It was all the brainchild of one man, Stephen Hise, author and extraordinary kind-hearted man who for some unfathomable reason has been nicknamed the Evil Mastermind. I, for one, learned more about promotion, marketing, writing and reviewing in a few months than I had ever learned before thanks to reading the posts on the site. 
     This year I was asked to join the team. It was an extremely proud moment as you tell from my daft expression above as I sport my new Indies Unlimited t-shirt.
     Sites like this are invaluable to writers and readers. The team is exceptionally talented (okay, I am not blowing my own trumpet here. I am referring to everyone else) and everyone works very hard to ensure quality posts are submitted.
     Not been to have a look? Then you really should.
     Is this a Fairy Tale? Maybe it is because it serves to show that if you have a dream you should go for it. It also proves that if you work together you can achieve a lot more.
Happy Birthday Indies Unlimited. Congratulations to Stephen, his beautiful blogging partner Kat, Minion controller Laurie and all the minions people who make it such a brilliant place to hang out.

MY 'BIRTHDAY' VIDEO FOR INDIES UNLIMITED
-check out Mr Pish





29 comments:

  1. Carol,
    This is a great post and that is an outstanding video! Blimey, you're not just a pretty face, are you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol! this is brilliant ... as always I'm so happy and start my morning with a smile -when I get to read one of your posts with my morning coffee. Will definitely check out Indies Unlimited ~ sounds like the perfect place to get some valuable information for (aspiring writers - like me) writers and inspiration.. many hugs and blessings to you and your Hubby. xo C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site is the perfect place for you my friend. Many fond wishes to you all form us both xx

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, Carol, and fabulous video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks! The video was thanks to a great video tutorial on Indies Unlimited - written by some really good writer!

      Delete
  4. Carol, that video is fabulous! Merci beaucoup, mon etoile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie, the video couldn't fail with such fab video stars especially Mr Pish.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday/anniversary and thanks so, sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your friends, you sexy thing, you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks great loyal fishducky friend. Hubby thinks I look a twit!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic, Carol. Happy IU birthday to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great site! Thank you for sharing Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great articles, features and help for us authors there Stephanie.

      Delete
  9. Carol you're amazing and very funny! A brilliant happy, amusing post, that sums up Indies and all the fabulous people associated with it. Happy Birthday Indies! May you long continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you! What a lovely comment. Thank you audrina. You have made my evening much brighter. xx

      Delete
  10. Congratulations to you and your friends. I'm checking out the website now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am sure you will find it huge fun. I do!

      Delete
  11. Great post, Carol! Love the video :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you DV - I am in awe of Kat's though.

      Delete
  12. Great video, Carol! (I'm afraid to ask which of the Muppets -- uh, minions -- I am....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't be Gonzo because I grabbed that one! You're the lovely one hiding in the background that can't be seen. xx

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for this tribute Carol, and for all you do to help fellow authors. I am proud you are a member of the IU team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great video and post. I am not familiar with this site and must go and visit! Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Not been to have a look?"
    Well, no; I didn't even know it existed. I'll have a look now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea Carol, I thought the site was just for writers who want to get published online. See what I get for thinking? Will check it out ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Raising my glass - I know, it's early ...but it's a special occasion! It's always fun when you are around, keep being amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!