Saturday, 27 October 2012

"Return to Sender..."

     No wonder this donkey is laughing at me. I have been a bit of an idiot!
     Last weekend I went into a complete meltdown because I couldn’t get into my email account. It started Friday night when I tried to get into my Hotmail account on my laptop. It wouldn’t let me, declaring that I had in-putted the wrong password. Now, I know I have about sixty passwords for all the sites and it’s easy to forget them but I know and can easily remember my email account password.
     It wouldn’t let me in on the laptop. I tried the iPad. That let me in for about ten minutes then decided it was going to log me out and tough luck! It too refused to recognise my password. 
     Panic set in because I had just sorted out a load of media contacts and arrangements for various magazines.  Those people would only contact me on that email address. All their details too were in my email account. I had no other note of them
     I grabbed my phone. I could still use the email on it. I sent out a general email to everyone I could before it shut me off, alerting them to what was happening and advising them that I might need to change addresses I then started to copy emails to my documents. Not rapidly enough. The account shut me off before I got to person number four.
     That was that. No contacts. No correspondence. I was stuck.
     I set up a new email account and attempted to tell those I knew on Facebook. I was behaving quite bizarrely. I cannot justify my madness but imagine losing your telephone and all your contacts or photographs. I missed it. I missed it hugely. Truth be told, I check my emails every quarter of an hour. I clearly have a problem.
     I really should have backed up my contact list and I should have printed out the most important emails. Or, I should, at the very least, made note of journalist’s details in my notepad.
Hubby shrugged. “Told you computers were rubbish,” he huffed when I told him and went back to the garage, oblivious to my anguish.
     I spent all weekend trying to work out what had happened. Had I been hacked? I couldn’t focus on anything else.
     Monday morning I got a text from a friend.
     ‘Did you recently download an update to your iPad from your laptop?’
     ‘Yes.’
     ‘That’s the problem. Another friend has the same problem. Close Chrome and go back into Internet Explorer and reset the password.’
     It was a simple as that. I was back into my email account in a jiffy and there were only five messages for me. I had missed nothing.
     I learned two things. I should back up everything I value and I really need to get out more. Fancy being worked up about email addresses. There are far worse things happening in the world.
     So, in the spirit of this blog, here are a few jokes to see you through the day. I am off the internet now for a while. Maybe I’ll take up Zumba!

What do werewolves put at the bottom of their e-mails?
Beast wishes

What should you do if you get lots of e-mails saying, “What’s up, Doc? What’s up Doc?”
Check for bugs in your system.

I tried to send you an e-mail and broke my computer.
How did you mange that?
I think it was when I tried to push it through the letterbox.

I’ve lost my dog!
Have you tried putting a message on the internet?
Don’t be silly. My dog never reads e-mails!

*     *     *     *     *


26 comments:

  1. Poor baby! It's amazing--& frightening--how we've become so dependent on things that didn't even exist a few years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I need to go into rehab! Hubby doesn't understand it at all and thinks I am mad to get worked up about such a silly thing (in his opinion).
      How times have changed fishducky. Personally I love all this technology (when it works). Without the internet I'd have never met you.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. I can relate to this! Email, above anything, is my lifeline to my work, to my friends, to everything. I would seriously panic if mine went down. Thanks for the jokes though. I loved the one about the dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favourite joke too Val. Make sure you have your contact list backed up and a store of emails which you consider important and a spare email address - you never know when you might need it!

      Delete
  3. What a nightmare! I can relate. We obviously both need serious help, therapy, and what did you say that other thing was called....? Zumba...? Well yes, I need that too but I can bring my iPhone along, can't I...?

    love, Janice xx (via google/blogger/wordpress/facebook/twitter/the internet/the world).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to get a Zumba app for my iPhone Janice!
      I wonder if there a cure for modern day-itus.
      Thank goodness I am not the only one who goes into melt down at the loss of electronic communication.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Carol,

    Haha, your photo caught my eye too! Here in the USA it is the symbol for the Democratic party... Being an Elephant, I had to read what you meant by return to sender!
    Scary experience and yes, I've had things like that happen to me as well. Last year when we went to a 2-day wedding in The Netherlands we came back to the USA and my entire website + email account had poofed. The woman that developed my website two years prior, closed her business and ALL accounts including my domain. For 3 weeks I was in limbo and had to buy my domain back in an auction. So glad when that was over; nerve wrecking. With my new webmaster things are secured now and this will not happen again. But what must customers have thought and that near Christmas.
    But life goes on; we learn but there will be new surprises around the bend. My husband constantly tells me: 'Sorry I can't help you and he walks out into the garden.' At such a moment I would love to run from all of it too and hide in the garden. But the show goes on... tough though at our age!
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mariette I always gave song titles to my posts which are vaguely relevant - hence the Elvis track title.
      The donkey photo came from my Hubby who took it when a donkey came to have a laugh at me. I'd forgotten it was the symbol for the Democratic party. Donkeys are renowned for being stubborn so... :)
      I would scream and pull out all my hair if I lost my domain name and website. I freaked about my blog because my email address is linked to it. One of the first things I did was change the link address in case I'd been hacked and couldn't get back onto my blog.
      Husbands can be pretty unhelpful at times - still, I bet your garden looks nice!
      You are not wrong either about the age problem. I wish I were more up to speed with it all so I didn't panic every time something went wrong.
      thank you for your lovely comment. Great to hear from you. xx

      Delete
  5. I totally understand! Technology can be very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but nevertheless I am determined to not give up on it! I have an abundance of patience - unlike certain other members of my family! I treat it like Sudoko puzzles. I will eventually crack them and win! (Pause for evil laugh.)

      Delete
  6. I totally sympathize with your predicament. Every so often my email plays up. I can receive but can't send without entering the password... trouble is, I can never remember it! A phone call to my web hosts and the nice young man told me where I could find it when I logged in to the main site... but then, I have to remember that password, too. And it's one that I don't have to go to very often so it's filed so deeply down in the gray matter it takes forever to surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't passwords frustrating? You need them for all sorts of sites. I also had a security question on my account to prove it was my email but I couldn't remember which historical figure I might have decided was my favourite three years ago! I need a spare brain to house all the passwords.

      Delete
  7. I have two printed copies of all my email contacts, one in a folder in the file drawer and one in my diary. I really should reprint them, they're a mess of additions and crossed out contacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a very sensible and wise person River. I should have spoken to you before this fiasco!

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh! Scary stuff. I only use a laptop (and it's my husband's) so if this ever happens to me, I'm back to native runner and forked stick technology. If nothing else, it shows us how dependent we've all become on the digital stuff!! I can (vaguely) recall a time when we didn't have mobiles, email etc. Were we better off? I sometimes wonder.
    And a joke: What's yellow and very dangerous? Shark-infested custard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might set up a new business using pigeons and small scraps of paper just in case we all find ourselves stuck!
      Thank you for your joke. It made Hubby groan!

      Delete
  9. Bless you. I get your panic, one hundred per cent. Especially if it's something weird and inexplicable. Upgrades to Internet browsers always seem to have traumatic results so I hold off until I have no other choice (i.e. Yahoo telling me YOU MUST UPGRADE or you WILL BE LOCKED OUT). LOL. So glad you got it sorted. Sadly, as it's Sunday morning and I haven't had my cuppa tea yet, I can't think of a single joke. No, not a one. Sorry. German genes coming through. Loveya anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do the same and wait until my computer is ready to explode before I download upgrades. It was the sneaky iPad that caught me out. It affected my laptop. I'll be watching out next time.
      Hope by the time you get this reply you have had lots of tea and are feeling all Sunday relaxed.

      Delete
  10. Hi Carol, just read your blog via the article in this month's Journal and as I'm a writer approaching 50 (but nowhere near as successful!), I thought I'd take a look. You're not the only one who has no hardcopy of email addresses - maybe I better do something about it now...Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,
      Thank you very much for nipping over and visiting me. The Journal did me proud I think. I shall pop over and say hello immediately - always delighted to meet fellow authors.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for reminding me to back things up. I am beyond forgetful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its good to be here, very nice post, the content is amazing, keep posting friend it will be very helpful for everyone, Thanks for sharing. I really liked it.
    Thanks And Regards
    mis sold ppi Refund

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you did not lose any information. I haven't progressed to an i-pad yet. I have enough trouble with my old computer! BTW, I'm loving your book!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!