Thursday, 15 November 2012

"Please don't go..."


I’m leaving Hubby.
Is that the sound of your jaw dropping to the floor? “No!” I hear you scream. “You can’t. Facing 50, you can’t leave your other half. What will you write about?”
Okay, I’ll fess up...I’m only leaving him for a weekend but it’s a big deal because I have not been without him for eleven years.
     The last eleven years has seen us as some sort of double act. We go everywhere together. We even have 'his' and 'her' dentist appointments now and the only time we spend time apart is if we separate in town for an hour to go to different shops or if I get my hair done. How will he cope without me? he'll probably mope all weekend, forget to eat and be lonely.
     As for me, I’m off to Bedford to The Festival of Romance where I shall be meeting some of the lovely people I have been I contact with on Twitter, Facebook and other cyber sites. 
     This will be the first time I have met some of my fellow loveahappyending* colleagues and boy am I excited. We’ve been messaging each other for the last few days about who is staying where and what we are wearing. Mandy Baggot had a stupendous outfit, a cat suit, for the e-bound erotica themed party (I might have forgotten to tell Hubby about that). We have planned some drinking and much dancing around handbags as writers of romance are prone to do. Sadly, the erotica party got cancelled at the last minute but there are still lots of events.
     The festival lasts all weekend and includes an award ceremony (several members of the loveahppyending team are shortlisted for those so I’ll be cheering for them loudly, very loudly if I drink too much champagne. There’s a ball, a literary dinner, readathons, a book fair (yes, I’ll be on the loveahappyending stall selling books), drinks, an author brunch and a Rock Star Party.
     I can’t wait to meet all the wonderful people who have supported my efforts, written reviews for my books and those whose writing I admire.
     Hubby has been very encouraging about me leaving him for the weekend. I was concerned that he would miss me. We do everything together and it’ll be very strange not to have someone to chat to in the morning or share a cup of cocoa with on an afternoon.
     “You won’t miss me too much, will you?” I asked last night. He gave me a surprised look.
     “No, I’m going to town to stock up on German beer, get some proper food to eat and buy some cement so I can get on with some little jobs. I don’t know how to work the television though so could you leave me some instructions?” he replied.
     With that reaction this could be the first of many trips away, I think. Expect me to return here next week with even bigger bags under my eyes than usual, a whole bunch of gossip and yes, of course I’ll bring back photos just don’t show them to Hubby.

*Just wanted to add that fellow Indies Unlimited author Melissa Pearl's excellent novel Golden Blood is free at the moment. Download your copy today - you won't regret it :

Get your copy by clicking HERE


*Some of the team are mentioned in the labels section. Sorry if I missed anyone out.

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think I'll make sure I have fun. Thanks Claudia. We should have a Facing 50 festival then I could meet all of you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend. I too do everything with hubby and he is retired now and I am not, so I often get calls from him as to "where's the ketchup" - of course in 38 years it has always been on the door of the fridge...cant imagine leaving him to fend for himself..but love it, he is my best friend. So go and enjoy - looking forward to stories about it and how hubby managed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes - You understand the problem exactly. Hubby is my best friend and I have to admit to being slightly reluctant to leave him but I'm sure those loveahappyending girls will take my mind off him for the weekend.
      I'll be back with the stories next week for sure. x

      Delete
  3. See you there, Carol :)

    I am sooooo nervous about finally meeting some of the lovely authors I have 'met' online, especially you. :)

    DizzyC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I'll be too pickled to know who you are - I'll be a complete embarrassment to everyone and have to be taken back to my room - then you'll probably wish you hadn't met me at all :D
      Seriously, I am SOOOOO looking forward to meeting you. (and also a bit nervous - what if you all think I'm not funny at all?)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a blast, your going too Carol? Have a wonderful time guys :)

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lainy...Carol should be there too. We'll let you know what we got up to (yeah, right...what happens in Bedford stays in Bedford!) xx

      Delete
  5. He doesn't know how to work the TV? How hard is an on/off button and channel changer? or do you have some sort of whizz-bang futuristic not yet released to the public type of TV?
    Enjoy your weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a buy a new telly when we all went digital and it is complicated (got internet on it). Even I had to work it out. Still it stops him irritating the heck out of me with the remote control and changing channel every ten minutes.

      Delete
  6. Carol ... I'm so happy for you! I can hear the excitement in your words. Hubby will be just fine ... Enjoy yourself and do take lots of pictures... Hugs and blessings, C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could be there too Celia. I'll have a private toast to you. xxx

      Delete
  7. Having a good eye morning so I thought I'd stop by. I have to say I'm jealous. What a hoot! As for hubby he'll be fine. His cholesterol will probably jump through the roof and he may spend the weekend drunk as a hoot owl, and the house may be trashed but he'll survive. I'm only guessing at these things as I'm pretty sure that's what would happen if I left Phil for the weekend. Especially with the kids. Hope you have a blast. By the way I lost your email address because I'm a nincompoop. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here today.
      Just seen the fridge and you are right - he's going for gold with several shelves of beer and enough cake in the cupboard to feed an entire school.
      I'll email you my address..."nincompoop" - Hee hee great word. Must use it in my next book.
      Love ya back. xxx

      Delete
  8. Sorry about the erotica party getting cancelled--try to have fun, anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll manage - they have just announced a quiz to replace it so I am genning up. I love quizzes :)

      Delete
  9. Damn! Fancy the erotica party being cancelled - that was probably the whole reason for you going in the first place, you leetle mynx!!!Hee Hee!! How lovely that you will be meeting all those lovely people, and I see that you will also be meeting Dizzy C (another Carol). I'm very envious. Have a super time and I shall look forward to photos! Shall I toodle up to keep hubby company for the weekend?! I feel it's the very least I can do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was my naughty leetle friend - you clearly know me better than Hubby does. We have resolved that erotica party issue and replaced it with a quiz - I love quizzes - and have formed a quiz team called Fifty Shades of Chardonnnay - you can tell it's still going to be a great time.

      Hubby is very content to be left alone but says you are very welcome to join if you fancy helping him out with mixing cement - I have no idea what he plans! Please bring scones :) xx

      Delete
    2. That quiz does sound like fun!! I,m afraid thAt my scones would be harder than the cement!!

      Delete
  10. Hello Carol , I found this rather amusing, as you are the one leaving your hubby to fend for himself and you are going to have fun :-) :-) He will be absolutely fine ... ok as long as your tv instructions are good... He will indulge in his fav programmes, his fav food and will be fine.

    I have been apart from my husband for the last 11 years whilst he travels the world with Formula 1, which I am I not allowed to join him. from March to November he travels and does at least 20 trips a year .. ..and then when he gets back he is too tired or stressed ... I still want to do my things, then I worry about leaving him LOL.

    You will have a fantastic time for sure ..and he will be fine:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carol!!! (Neil Sedaka singing in background) You will survive ( moves on to whoever). Mine ( married 37 years) goes to Italy for a solo hols every summer for 2 weeks. Like you, we are a bit of a double act, but the absence is a chance to appreciate each other's good qualities a bit more.So enjoy the time away, and enjoy the reunion at the end (can't think of a vocal track to accompany this - possibly a bit of Mozart 40?) XC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a blast Carol! Wish I could go too, but for me, 'Het Kanaal' is too big a stretch to swim, too cold at this time of year and too expensive for the more comfortable means of crossing. By the way, I'm all in favour of separate hols. Me and mine do it a lot and it gives us some good things to talk about over that coffee in the morning! Enjoy yourself, handbag dances and all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol - sorry I missed this post before the weekend. Great to meet you finally and what a fun time.. albeit exhausting. I just can't cope with 2 late nights on the trot, obviously am out of practice (or just the wrong side of 50!). Lovely times with lovely peeps. Emma x PS Hope hubby gave you a nice welcome ;-) Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment and make my day!